Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Paris is my la-la land


August 1, 2018 -- Occasionally, Tom takes an after-dinner stroll by himself because he has had no exercise all day.  That's what the life is like for a writer/editor.  He took one of these solo strolls last night.  I had already walked several miles, so he understood that I wanted to stay home and enjoy the evening view from the balcony.

Along his route, he encountered a beautiful cat.  He wanted to take a picture of it to show me, but he doesn't really know how to use the camera on his phone.  Usually, when we're out and about, I take the photos (with my phone). 

He tried.  He thought he failed completely.  But this morning when I opened Google photos, I saw two brief videos, inadvertently taken by Tom.  They showed the gorgeous cat.  Here he is:


When we are out walking together, I will have to show Tom how to use his camera. 

On my walk this morning, the air was cool and pleasant.  I walked up the Avenue de la Motte Picquet into the heart of the 7th arrondissement.  I crossed the Esplanade des Invalides and turned up the rue de Bourgogne, headed toward the majestic Place du Palais Bourbon.  But I turned back on the rue de Grenelle before I reached that Place. 

I paused for some time to read the display on the fence in front of the hôtel particulier (stately home) that now serves as the headquarters for the Maison de la Chimie, a foundation for the advancement of chemical science.  I have admired this building for years; the foundation does a fine job of maintaining it.

Maison de la Chimie on the rue de Grenelle in the 7th arrondissement.
The foundation does many things, but some of its projects are dedicated to research on climate change, and what can be done about it. 

Speaking of environmental disasters, Tom and I are deeply disturbed by what is happening back home.  Three types of harmful algae blooms are occurring in our coastal waters in southwest Florida.  They are due to releases of polluted, nutrient-laden water from Lake Okeechobee.  The pollution comes from Big Agriculture.  The water has been managed so that our environment takes all the damage, while Big Agriculture thrives, making piles of money every year.  There is supposed to be "shared adversity" in the way this water is managed.  But instead, lobbyists for publicly subsidized Big Ag get their way every time.  This must stop!

Harmful algae blooms have occurred in France's coastal waters; I've written about them in this blog years ago.  But I don't think France has ever experienced the massive fish kills -- even massive sea turtle deaths! -- the way that southwest Florida is.  I don't think Big Ag has quite the strangle-hold over politicians in France as they do in Florida. 

On the Avenue de la Motte Picquet, Place Salvador Allende has a lovely fountain in the middle.
I've often wondered if it is spring-fed, but haven't been able to find that answer.  I do know that
the fountain itself came from the Place de la Madeleine; it was created by the architect
Gabriel Davioud and sculpted in white marble by Théophile Murguet in 1864.  The Place
was given this name because Chili's embassy is across the street.
Ultimately, it is the voters' fault for electing corrupt politicians year after year.

Because I read the Washington Post and my email every day, I'm also disturbed by other things like the Carr fire and the death of a policeman in Lee County, FL. 
This is for my friends who belong to the Lions Club.  The Lions exist in
Paris on the rue du Champ de Mars in the 7th arrondissement.

Tonight we dine with friends at Le Tipaza.  We certainly will have plenty to talk about, with all this bad stuff happening back home.  A couple of the friends who will be at dinner tonight are from Britain.  I know Tom will quiz them about what's happening with Brexit.  There is much to discuss, indeed.

I don't know if we will get a year-round apartment in Paris.  But I do know we will stay here longer next year -- perhaps four months.  Europe has its problems, too, but Paris is my la-la land.


No comments: