Saturday, June 29, 2019

The French Mini Moves In

Tom was missing the Google home mini already, after just a few days away from home.  So on my morning walk, I stepped into Darty (a chain of appliance/electronics stores) to buy one for him.

This is a special shopping weekend, with stores opening early and closing late, and special sales everywhere.  The Beaugrenelle mall's Darty was supposed to open at 9 today, but because of the Beaugrenelle mall security, I guess, the store didn't open until 10.  So I had a nice stroll on the Allée des Cygnes, then joined the masses entering the store when doors opened just before 10.
The Eiffel Tower is used to sell everything,
even hosiery.  Nice calla lily, too.


It took me several minutes to find the display for the Google home minis.  Judging by the amount of space devoted to them in the store, I'd say the Google home minis must be popular in France.  They are also somewhat more expensive in France than in the U.S.

All the mini boxes on the shelves were empty!  A helpful young man who works for the store approached me, and I said (in French) hello and that please, I'd like to buy a Google home mini, but all the boxes are empty.

He led me to the computer terminal where I had to give my name, address, postal code -- just to buy a smart speaker!  I paid by credit card, and then he printed out a full page of information.  He led me over to another desk, where I presented this paperwork and waited while my mini was retrieved from the back room.

So bureaucratic.  So French.

When I had my mini and paperwork in hand, the man at the counter wished me a good weekend, I thanked him, and off I went, up the stairs, checked by security, and out onto the hot street again.

This was one of the better experiences I've had with Darty over the years.  We've purchased a microwave, a coffee maker or two, a toaster, and a number of other little things there in the past.  Sometimes the sales people have been surly.  Not so much anymore.  They're pretty nice, but still bureaucratic.
The Games in Blue shop on the rue du Theatre has an
adorable miniature wood shop that actually works.

I set up the mini and within an hour, Tom was asking her what is the capital of Togo, and what is the capital of Ethiopia.  Google has also answered questions about the time and weather this morning.  Soon she'll perform the services of a French dictionary.  We will keep her busy enough.

The French for smart speaker is "enceinte intelligente."  The noun ''enceinte" (speaker) is the same as the adjective "enceinte" (pregnant).  I wonder about that etymology!




1 comment:

CDStowell said...

I think it's the sense of enceinte that has to do with chambers and enclosures that suits both pregnancy and speakers!